Week 9 Story: How I Came to Be The Monkey King

Since the beginning of time, I bided my time. I had no consciousness or any emotions. Yet, I was here on earth. With each passing year, I could feel my strength growing immensely. One day, my strength overcame the shell that encased me, and I was born.

I emerged from my stone prison, taking in the world around me with my newfound senses. I looked over my features, realizing that I was an ape. Gradually, I learned to walk and leap. I learned to drink of the plentiful springs on the island and eat from the fields of fruits.

So, on this happy little island, I flourished. I grew from a little monkey into a strong ape. I learned to befriend the other apes on the island and made merry with them with each passing day.

One day, we happened upon a waterfall that crashed down from atop a tall cliff. The other apes proclaimed a challenge that whomever shall pass through the waterfall without harm shall be king. Now, I, having been born of supernatural power, came forth at once and proclaimed that I shall pass through the waterfall.

So, there I stood, yearning for the chance to lead my fellow apes. I closed my eyes and leaped through the falling water. When I landed, I opened my eyes and cast my eyes upon an iron bridge spanning across the length of a cave that was concealed by the waterfall.

Happy that I had succeeded, I leaped back out of the cave much to the excitement of the other apes. I told the other apes of what I had discovered and journeyed with them once more to show them what was concealed behind the curtain of water.

So, the apes deemed me was their king and ruler, and I appointed some of my fellow apes as my officials to do my bidding. We lived there on the island for many peaceful years under my rule.

The Monkey King Leaping Into The Waterfall - Courtesy of Pinterest


Author's Note: For this week's story, I wanted to write my own rendition of the Handsome King of the Apes from the perspective of the would-be Monkey King. The original story tells of a rock upon an island called the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits that absorbed all of the hidden energy in the world. One day, it burst and out hatched a stone ape that eventually learned how to live as an ape would. He walked, leaped, drank, ate, and slept. One day, the apes came upon a waterfall which they proclaimed that whomever could pass through without harm shall rule. The stone ape came forth, succeeded, and ruled over his kingdom of the apes for many years. My rendition of the story retells the life of the Monkey King from the perspective of the stone ape from which he grew. My story captures his inner feelings as he hatched from the stone and grew into an ape. It provides an immersive experience for readers that allows them to read the story from the perspective of the Monkey King, further detailing his unique origin story.

Bibliography: Handsome King of the Apes from The Chinese Fairy Book, ed. by R. Wilhelm and translated by Frederick H. Martens (1921)

Comments

  1. Hey Jackie!

    I love the concept of this retelling as it is very concept driven due to the monkey dealing with coming into consciousness and exploring the idea of consciousness. I also like this monkey's desire to lead and be seen as a leader by the fellow apes as he battles with crossing through the waterfall. This retelling feels fresh thanks to your tweaks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jackie! I always like reading stories where the authors shifts from a narrative third person perspective to a first person perspective. It helps the readers get to know the character even better, in my opinion, and you did a great job with that! I think I may read the original Monkey Kind story this week as it seems pretty interesting from your retelling.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Jackie the Soon-to-be-Grad

Favorite Place...OU Campus

Week 15 Story: The Huntsman