Week 13 Story: The Sheriff of Nottingham

I proudly served the King, and I revered him greatly. When word got out of the outlaw Robin Hood's meddling actions, I felt great need to bring him to justice. For years, I sent countless men to thwart him in his efforts and capture him. Alas, many have tried and all have failed. This is much to my demise, but the common folk have come to like the fellow, for he has protected their so-called best interests and rallied against the rich. So, it seems the law of the land has no meaning for I can not touch this Robin Hood.

However, though I lacked in my ability to bring Robin Hood to justice, I can still enforce the law upon others. Such as the poor three squires I had captured two nights ago for killing one of the King's precious deer. Though, many wept within the walls of Nottingham for the poor fellows, I was stern in my punishment and upholding of the law. So, they would be punished to the same extent as the fate of the King's deer: death.

Then, a seemingly poor soul happened upon my doorstep. He had poor clothes like that of a lowly beggar and pleaded to be the hangman for the three squires. Now, I agreed to this proposition, for I would show the people of Nottingham that even a beggar could hold paramount the law of the land. I offered the beggar the clothes and money of the three squires as repayment for this great demonstration, yet he declined profusely. All he asked was for three blasts from his bugle-horn so that the three souls will find their way to heaven, to which I agreed since I was in great faith with the Church.

Upon the day of the hanging, I watched as the beggar climbed onto the platform, preparing the hang the three young squires. Still, I watched as the beggar pulled out his bugle-horn and gave three blasts. At once, I felt the ground shake and the sound of thunder overcame my senses. I saw hordes of men and horses come over the hill and approach the area, surrounding all present with bows at the ready.

In this moment, I realized how this old beggar was. It was none other than Robin Hood, who had come to save these poor souls. Though I knew I wanted to capture him dearly, I also knew I could not for his men outnumbered mine greatly. He had come to the aid of the common folk, and I was not match for him. Thus, I yielded the three squires to him, and I retreated to my chambers, cursing up a storm.

Sheriff of Nottingham - Courtesy of Collider


Author's Note: The original story tells of how Robin Hood when he comes upon a woman who was in such sorrow. He learned that her three sons had been condemned to death by the sheriff of Nottingham for killing one of the King's deer. So, Robin Hood set out for Nottingham to save the poor souls. Along the way, he happens upon a beggar, who tells him of all the weeping and wailing in Nottingham over the three squires. Robin Hood trades some money and drinks in exchange for the old beggar's clothing. Robin Hood puts on his disguise and wins the favor of the sheriff to be the hangman for the three squires. Upon climbing the gallows, Robin Hood blows his horn, calling his men to arms. The sheriff was overcome and, fearing their wrath, released the three squires to Robin Hood. For my rendition of the story, I retold the tale from the perspective of the sheriff. With this story, readers can emphasize with the sheriff's despair from Robin Hood's outlaw activities. His inability to capture him tormented him, which is easily conveyed through this rendition. His rivalry with the outlaw can be further explored, and readers can see how sheriff felt about Robin Hood and his exploits. Personally, I enjoyed writing this story, as I could explore the inner thoughts of the sheriff and what he truly thought of Robin Hood and his actions.

Bibliography: Rescuing Three Squires from The English and Scottish Popular Ballads by Francis James Child (1882-1898)

Comments

  1. Hi Jackie!

    I really like that you decided to write this story from the Sheriff of Nottingham's perspective. My storybook project is about Robin Hood and I have not yet implemented any stories including the Sheriff. But I have read a lot of these ballads, and I appreciate how you chose to convey this story. I really enjoyed the last sentence, "Thus, I yielded the three squires to him, and I retreated to my chambers, cursing up a storm." This image was easily imagined in my head, and was quite dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey again, Jackie!
    I always love reading your writings, they are some of my favorite stories to look for every week. Also, this is besides the point, but I truly admire how far ahead of the semester you are, I wish I could get as far ahead as you have. But I really really enjoyed how this story rewrite turned out, I always struggle with these stories, but every week it seems like you are able to crank out a new, creative, story. I have serious respect for that.
    Overall, another fantastic job!
    -Mikayla

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Jackie the Soon-to-be-Grad

Week 2 Story: The Ghost of Felgar Hall, Janitor, and Robber

Microfiction: The Fearful Moon